Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 77 - Pet Name Kind Of Girl?

OK, I had a bunch of other things I was going to blog about today, but then this little thing came up yesterday afternoon. Here is how it went down:

Me: Oh god, (Legal Eagle's real name) come here. I have the weirdest text.

LE: Did you say funniest or weirdest?

Me: Weirdest, look.

And this is what I showed her:



^ Pretty blurry, but it says: Hey darling today we are going to moon shadows i want to invited you. Text from Martin (names are not being protected)

OK, backstory time!

The day we had our moving truck in Hollywood, we were unloading and a neighbor came home around the same time with his friend (Martin). At least this is what I think the situation is, maybe he lives there and the other was visiting?

So, Martin offered to help us at the end with one of our beds. He talked about how he had a screenplay or something after I mentioned I was a writer. We exchanged info, blah blah.

Now, I don't really believe in "gaydar," but I assumed Martin was gay. Here are the reasons:

1. He was only like 5'8" and a little guy. Oh, maybe that's just why he's not my type.
2. He has an accent. Doesn't mean he's gay, just whatever...
3. He seemed to be coming home with another guy.
4. Both men were dressed a little Hollywood flashy. Maybe that's just guys in Hollywood? Hope not.
5. Did I mention he seemed to be coming home with another guy?

OK, so that's really all my reasoning for thinking he is gay.

So, then he Facebook'd me. Whatever. But then when we were coming to stay at our new place one of the first nights, he found us! He asked if we wanted to go out that night. We were probably gross from not showering and moving all day, we said no.

That was the last I heard from him.

Until the text!

Now, let me tell you the problems with this text.

First, grammar. I can't do poor grammar. I already correct people over little things. And I get English isn't his first language, but I'll feel compelled to correct and that will be flat-out exhausting.

Second, darling? Let's begin the pet name discussion.

Here is a convo between LE and me:

Me: Maybe he just sent the text to a bunch of people.

LE: Darling? Yeah, I don't think he sent that to everyone.

Me: What is it with me getting guys who like to give me a pet name right away?

LE: Ew, maybe it's a Los Angeles guy thing?

Me: Hope not.

LE: We'll find you someone normal.

Maybe, after I've been dating someone for about 7 or so years, it might be OK to give me a "pet name," just not something lame or overly cutesy. Plus, I think if you're going to do that, you have to know the person to see what fits. I'm not a "darling" or "sweetie" (unless my mom calls me that as she does sometimes, but that fits).

Convo continued:

Me: Maybe it's a European/foreign thing?

LE: No, I've known Europeans/foreigners enough to know it's not.

So then I got to thinking last night. Do I come off as a girl who will swoon over being given a pet name? Is that what these guys think will win me over?

So now, on the top of my checklist for what I am looking for in a guy we have:

1. Does not give me a pet name right away.

It's becoming a very important part of my checklist. #2 is that he can cut onions. I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment