Friday, July 11, 2008

Day 13 - I Do Pro Bono Work

Pro bono publico - (usually shortened to pro bono) is a phrase derived from Latin meaning “for the public good.” The term is sometimes used to describe professional work undertaken voluntarily and without payment as a public service.

^ as defined by Wikipedia

I’m not sure what I consider myself currently, as far as employment goes.

Ideally, I like to think of myself as self-employed. Like I don’t need to be working in an office and somehow have everything I need and want. But this little scenario is not really the case.

At other times I reluctantly consider myself unemployed. However, there are times when I can realize that this isn’t 100% true because I do work, freelance, etc. and make a few bucks here and there.

So while this little problem will not be decided on for some time I’m sure, I have managed to come to one conclusion. After agreeing to do more writing for free (because I need to have as much writing experience as possible to “make it.”), I realized that I am writing for roughly 3 or 4 publications free of charge. So now, I am choosing to say that I am a pro bono writer.

I mean, really, I do my work all for the good of the public, like a lawyer or doctor would.

So it’s decided.

And while this may seem all glamorous and relaxed, it is so not like when Val worked from home, starting her own company and wasn’t making any money.



^ Couldn’t find any pictures of Val when she started her business from home, but here is one where she is trying to get a new client. Plus it has Lauren in it and I definitely need to get into more situations like Lauren…highly awkward ones, but totally funny ones.

Val never had to worry about money when she was working at home. Plus she had a totally awesome loft and even a sort of office area. My laptop is next to my bed on a tiny table. Not quite the same.

But my pro bono work will continue. It’s my way of giving back in the best way possible. Sure I may not save any lives, but I just might recommend a TV show that someone ends up loving and isn’t that better than saving a life.

On a side note: For those of you wondering from yesterday’s post if Legal Eagle did take her bike out of the dumpster when she was a child…yes, she did and she continued to ride it.

No comments:

Post a Comment