Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 180 - From Dead To Half-Dead To Living To See Another Day

OK, I've avoided discussing the Neighbor situation for a bit, but now I will get back into it.

Here's what happened:

Scene: Last Saturday, Legal Eagle and I are at the grocery store.

LE and I were buying wine (because we drink a lot). We are making some sort of random joke about Neighbor and then I hear LE say, "Oh my god!" to which I turn around to see what she is looking at. Neighbor! (No, he didn't hear us talking. He was still a bit away.) We begin talking with him and we invite him to stop over if he wants. We are both pretty sure he implied that he would. Yet, he does not!

After this event, I do not see Neighbor all week, which is unusual as we usually cross paths at some point every week.

Scene: Sunday, Valentine's Day, LE and I are walking home from lunch up the hill.

We are just about home and then suddenly we see Neighbor walking up the hill in our direction.

LE: Is that Neighbor?

Me: Yeah, he's dead to me.

LE: Ha.

Stop for small talk with Neighbor, and then...

Neighbor (to me): Hey, I friended you on Facebook, so you better add me back.

Me: Oooh, we'll see about that.

Neighbor: So when are we doing movie night?

Me (looks at LE): Maybe early this week?

Neighbor: Cool. Happy Valentine's Day!

LE and I continue to walk up to our apartment.

LE: Dead to you...ha...yeah right.

Me: I know.

LE: But hey! He had to look up your last name and then make a point of adding you to Facebook. That's an effort.

Me: I guess it is.

While I will not get overly giddy about it, I will enjoy that he made the effort of finding me on Facebook without being like, "Hey, are you on Facebook?" And I will also not think too much of it that he asked me on Valentine's Day, but I will enjoy it a bit. Oh, but I'll definitely get excited that he did this after a while of not seeing me, which means he missed me, right?

Scene: About 5 hours after he asked me about Facebook, I finally log in.

I see the friend request and go to check it out. Oh, there is a message, too!

MOLLY! When are we having a movie night?


Yay! I rejoice because I am a 13-year-old girl and then message LE about what format to respond in. She tells me to message back rather than writing on his wall or anything else. I agree and then proceed to clear both mine and LE's Facebook walls of anything mentioning Neighbor, because yes, we write about Neighbor on our walls occasionally. I message back: "How about Tuesday? Watch something scary?" I begin to feel like a total dork and wish I had written something else. Oh well.

Scene: Monday morning and early afternoon.

I get angry all day because Neighbor has yet to respond! OK, maybe he hasn't checked his Facebook? Unlikely. He's all computery I think and it's probably tied to his email which is tied to his phone which means he has at least seen my message. However, he hasn't done anything else on Facebook, so at least he is respecting that he can't take any action without messaging me back first. I declare him half-dead until he makes some sort of move, and that move better not be updating his status without messaging me back. I go into girl panic and over-analyze what I wrote. Was it dumb? Was it too boring?

Then I go into the mode of, "Well, if he does respond late on Tuesday or something, I'm going to suddenly have plans." No one keeps me waiting! And then I'll tell him that I may have some free time in two weeks or something.

Scene: I decide to start laundry and randomly decide to take some recycling out.

Not thinking or paying attention, I take a box to recycling and who should be walking down the hill? Neighbor! I barely say hello. It's more like cold-style Mo hi, which is pretty freaking cold. He stops and here we go again:

Neighbor: Hey, so Tuesday?

Me (slow turn because recycling is so fascinating): Yeah?

Neighbor: I think Tuesday will work. What time were you thinking?

Me: Oh, I don't know. [LE] probably won't be home until around 7 or 8, so it'll be after that.

Neighbor: Cool, well you can just let me know (makes typing gesture like I should Facebook him about it). But Tuesday should be good.

Me: OK, yeah, let me know if it changes and you can't do Tuesday.

Neighbor: And I'll pick out something super scary for you.

Me: Now I'm really excited.

Then I went skipping up the stairs and declared that I would give Neighbor another chance. Maybe he was just trying to construct a decent message or just wasn't sure about Tuesday, but then saw how adorable I was and he knew he couldn't pass up hanging out with me or he felt pressured to say he could hang out. Whatevs.

And...scene.

Oh, one more thing...his Facebook picture is of him as a child (I think) and he's totally blond. And he doesn't have anything weird or alarming on his page...thank god!

Oh, and these convos are longer, but I shorten for boredom's sake.

Oh, and for those who Facebook stalk...I know for a fact that no one can find out if you have been on their page. Seriously. You can with MySpace, but not Facebook, so stalk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment